Alexander Swap's Dundee (Angusshire) copper halfpenny token dated 1797. Obverse: View of a church with legend: "DUNDEE HALFPENNY 1797", "ST. ANDREW’S CHURCH FOUNDD. 1772". Reverse: View of ruined archway and battlements with legend: "COWGATE PORT * THE LAST REMAINS OF OUR ANCIENT WALLS *", "W WRIGHT JUN DES". Edge inscription: "PAYABLE AT THE WAREHOUSE OF ALEXR SWAP & CO * + +". Alexander Swap & Co., were merchants with a business in Overgate, Dundee. Struck from polished dies in lovely collectable condition with reflective surfaces not picked up in photograph. Below is an early Victorian photograph of the same archway. Lovely collectable condition with a little subdued lustre remaining, see photograph.
D&H Angusshire No: 21. Diameter 28.6mm. AUNC. £95.00
e-mail David at firstname.lastname@example.org to order.